I use iDempiere, open source ERP, as the primary reference; however, the concepts can be applied to almost any ERP system, large or small. I choose iDempiere because:
- It is easy to install.
- It runs on a small server.
- It scales to hundreds of users.
- It uses dominant and commonly available technologies.
- It features an enterprise quality accounting system.
- It supports multiple entities (sets of books) inside a single login.
- It is commonly used around the word.
I plan to include as many OpenERP references as is possible. OpenERP approaches the ERP topic from a different perspective, and comparing the systems will add value to your understanding.